Sunday, January 06, 2008

Harlem's Social Diary: Irene Reid 1930 - 2008
Popular Harlem Songstress






"I just love to sing,
it's a gift God gave me"
Irene Reid


Funeral Services:

The Greater Zion Hill Baptist Church
Frederick Douglass Blvd. (8th Avenue) at 127th Street


Date: Thursday, January 10th, 2008
Time: Viewing from 2-6:30
Services from 6:30 on at the church

Beginning her singing career in church choirs, Reid tried her luck, in her late teens, at Harlem's famed Apollo Theatre. This was in 1948 and she won the amateur talent contest there four weeks in a row. This resulted in a job with Dick Vance's band, then resident at the Savoy Ballroom. She stayed with the band for two years, then struck out as a single. For a brief period, starting in 1961 she joined Count Basie, touring Europe and appearing on some of the band's live concert albums. After Basie she continued her solo career, often working with an organ-guitar-drums trio billed as Irene Reid & Company. In the late 80s, Reid was still singing every opportunity she had and visited Europe again, where, among a number of high-profile engagements, she appeared at Ronnie Scott's club in London. It was in London, in 1989, that she recorded her first album under her own name, with organist Mike Carr, Dick Morrissey, Jim Mullen, and drummer Mark Taylor.

She also continued to perform at a variety of Harlem venues, including Small's Paradise, Lenox Lounge, West End Cafe, Showman's and in outdoor concerts with Jazzmobile. Her singing style was powerful, echoing the ethos of the gospel tradition that marked her formative years. There's a bittersweet element to her sound that particularly suits ballad interpretations, but when the mood was upon her she could belt the blues with enormous authority.


Irene Reid with Mike Carr: What a Wonderful World


Note: Assorted biographical information drawn from Encyclopedia of Popular MusicCopyright Muze UK Ltd. 1989 - 2004

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanna say rest in peace Irene Reid, people this is my grandma, and I loved her and I will truly miss her, I hope that she will always live through Jazz and the people that she worked with, and inspired to bring thier talents to life, once again thank you... Malcolm R. Redfield grandson of the late Miss Irene Reid...

11:40 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

I just learned on accident that we've loss a great talent and beautiful person. I'm 46 years old now and wanted to say that Ms. Reid gave me my first job at 8yrs old walking her dogs in the Bronx.
Michael Walker, CEO and President of Trezevant Agency

Rest in Peace Irene Reid!!

11:06 AM  
Anonymous j.j. said...

Irene was one of the greatest!!
I play her music every week!


Dee Jay J.J.
East Orange, NJ USA

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had discovered Irene Ried very late in life. After I bought my first CD of hers I then went out and bought every CD she had. When I bought them I wondered if she was still alive. The truth is I perfered to belive she was.
I play her offten and she has made me like songs I did not like by other artist. Like " Sleeping Bee" Con't

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Con't
She made a song her own. Many times if I had not known it was a remake I woudl have sworn she was the original singer. My Collection is over 600 CD's and would be lame without her contrabution.

Love Always
Kenyatta Becktemba

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

IF ANYONE WOULD KINDLY PUT HER BACK ON UTUBE SINGING MY BABY JUST CARES FOR ME. SHE WAS LIVE OVERSEAS.
PLEASE, ANYONE IF YOU HAVE IT.
THANKS!
WE WILL ALWAYS LOVE IRENE.

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

IF ANYONE WOULD KINDLY PUT HER BACK ON UTUBE SINGING MY BABY JUST CARES FOR ME. SHE WAS LIVE OVERSEAS.
PLEASE, ANYONE IF YOU HAVE IT.
THANKS!
WE WILL ALWAYS LOVE IRENE.

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The new "talent" out there can't hold a candle to Irene Reid. I'm "old school". Irene Reid music is what you listen to in your Cadillac Seville on I95, at 75 mph, on "cruise", while you're on the way to Philly (from Harlem) to catch a jazz show.

6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home